Skip to main content

Race Week

One week from now, I will hopefully have already crossed the finish line. Isaac and Nate (the person who told me it'd be a great idea to do an Ironman) will hopefully have finished a couple of hours ago. No one really knows where Chelsey will be including her - but hopefully she'll have a fantastic race and maybe have caught up to me during the marathon. That's all assuming everything goes according to plan... which, no matter how much you prepare, you can never anticipate what might cross your path during the race (like a bear). Flat tires, crashes, bonking, stomach issues.... a lot can go wrong during a 12-15 hour race. (12-13 for the boys, 14 for me). While getting through the bike portion will be a struggle (see video below about Ironman Canada race specifics), you have to respect the marathon and listen to your body. For anyone that has run a marathon, you know the challenges of hitting that 21 mile wall. From what I've heard, there are multiple walls to hit during an Ironman marathon. Some are mental - when you realize you've been running for an hour and still have almost 20 miles to go... or when you finish the first 13.1 mile loop and realize you have to do the same thing all over again. Many will be physical - the pain of pounding your feet on pavement for hours, your joints aching from the stress, fatigue taking over as you become more and more calorie deficient.... sounds fun, right!!? Maybe fun is the wrong word...

For those of you reading this that have interest in tracking any of us during the race, I plan on posting the link to live tracking during race day along with our bib numbers (although you can track by name too). I'm bringing my laptop to Whistler to hopefully help with the anxiety build up for the 3 days we're there before the race, let out some stress by explaining how we prepare for the race.

This weekend I spent a lot of time NOT thinking about Ironman. I skipped an hour run and spent the day hobbling around in stilettos instead of my Brooks. It was refreshing to take a mental break, something I think is going to help me head into our race week a bit less burnt out and in good spirits. It was a fantastic weekend all focused around an incredible couple and their breathtaking wedding. Our bridal party was the best and Jen was the most gorgeous bride. She was simply stunning. Such a wonderful weekend. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Muir have the most WONDERFUL honeymoon, love you both!!

Beautiful bridal party, amazing beach house we stayed at
She belongs in a wedding magazine, gorgeous












Loved getting all done up for the wedding!
 
This week training is even less than last week. Our workouts are about 75-90 minutes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but Thursday is short, Friday is super short/rest, Saturday will be 5-10 minutes in each sport (the shortest tri of all time), and Sunday will finally be

RACE DAY...

(insert expletives here) I can't believe how close it is!!! I'll write a few more posts before the race as we travel to Whistler and attend our check-in, hand off our bikes and transition bags, and spend a sleepless night dreaming about the glory of the crossing the finish line. The glory of hearing your name announced to the world, as joining an elite club of athletes that have embarked on the same journey that some people call insane, others say would be impossible to do - something I've been building towards for over a year. A whole new level of endurance athlete I've been dreaming of becoming. And it's only 7 days away. Wow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi