Skip to main content

My running journey


I never considered myself a runner despite being an athlete my whole life. After an ACL injury took me out of competitive sports in high school and I went through 9 months of physical therapy, I started running on treadmills to try to get back into shape. It makes me laugh now because you couldn't pay me to run on a treadmill. I was too afraid to run outside; I am by no means some incredibly graceful and natural looking runner. I didn't do cross country or track in high school... I don't look like the Nike ads - and that made me self-conscious. Little did I know the beauty of it all is that no one looks like that. Hit a trail any Saturday or Sunday morning and it is filled with all kinds of people - old and young, skinny and heavier, graceful and clumsy; they all have something in common - they're trying! And they're all runners.

I started dating Isaac when I was 20. A few months into our relationship, he made a simple statement - "running outside is harder than running on a treadmill". That meant that now I HAD to run outside. I couldn't let all those outdoor runners beat me. It was a whole new world, learning to pace myself. I remember hating how winded I would get running uphill, how difficult it was to plan routes, and hated the fact that I would have people see me out and about on runs. It took more than a year for me to feel confident running outside and finally identify as a runner. At that point I started to enjoy going on runs vs. feeling obligated. I decided to do my first half marathon (which terrified me at the time - I didn't sleep at all the night before), then another 2 halves, and finally my first full marathon. A couple marathons later, I started trail running. I don't know if any run feels better than escaping civilization and running straight into the woods. So freeing.

Portland Marathon
Seattle Marathon
Lulu half marathon
Chelan Marathon

Seattle Rock N Roll Marathon

Seattle Rock N Roll Half

Running led me to yoga. I started doing yoga to stretch my sore muscles and try to prevent injury. Yoga taught me to let my brain rest, which I started to apply to running. Running became meditative for me. I am grateful I found yoga. Yoga has taught me that perfection is not the goal. Beating someone else is not the goal even though it's my impulse. It's not a competition with others, it's about you and your body. It's not about attaining a perfect pose, accomplishing a specific bend or twist or balancing pose. Yoga is simply the practice of uniting the mind, body, and spirit. It is a practice. One of my favorite teachers always points out that it is yoga practice - not yoga perfect.
Home practice. Deck practice :)

Running led me to Ironman. As much as I love running and yoga, I am always looking for another mountain to climb. When my friend Nate brought up that he had finished Ironman and he hadn't even run a marathon before (meaning I could totally do it) - it got my wheels spinning. I had been wanting to get into triathlons. I was a swimmer (I was a lifeguard and swim instructor through high school and college), I could learn to bike, and I knew I could run a marathon. My confidence in my athleticism got me to sign up for Ironman before I had even completed my first actual triathlon. If you're going to set a goal, might as well set a big one. 
I am so grateful I found running. It centers me, brings me to a peaceful place where nothing else matters except breathing and putting one foot in front of the other. It led me to two other passions. I have gained so much from running. I always laugh when people tell me they can't run. Can't is different than choosing not to because it's hard. Most people I know are fully capable of jogging a few miles. Running takes time and dedication to do, but it gives you so much more back. It's given me passion. It's given me freedom. It's made me a stronger person. Running helped me find myself. Running made me appreciate my body. Running helped me love myself. I truly believe running can do the same for anyone who chooses to commit to it. I understand that not everyone is going to be a runner, but I just hope that everyone finds their thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi