Skip to main content

My road to Ironman Canada

As I love reading fellow triathletes blogs, I decided to take a stab at one of my own. My intent here is to track some training and races, connect with some other triathletes, and honestly vent about the challenges along this path to Ironman. When I signed up for this race almost 1 year ago, I had no idea what I was signing up for. Yes, I read there would be a lot of training. Yes, I knew the distances (2.4mi swim, 112mi bike, 26.2mi run). Yes, I knew I'd miss out on a few social events. Yes, I knew it was going to push me further than I'd ever gone and been pushed before. And that was the main reason I signed up - to push past all the limits I thought I had.

But what I didn't realize what how all consuming Ironman can become. It's not a hobby, it becomes your life. What do I think about most days? My training that I completed that morning, what training looks like tomorrow, what I need to consume to keep going all day, how many calories I need to eat on the bike tomorrow morning... did I really push my swim faster than race pace? Did my run really break HR 3 mid-high? Did I keep my cadence as high as I could have during those fast spins during my morning brick? Did I transition fast enough off the bike? Am I going to remember to put on glide in T2? How many PB&J sandwiches can I fit in my bike jersey?.... it goes on and on. I don't mind it, I just never thought it would take over like it has. Running, my favorite of the sports, has always been such a gift, something so freeing and spontaneous for me in the past, but Ironman training has taken on such a strict training schedule, such an all consuming mindset, I feel as though it's really changed me as a person. I think it's made me a better person - a more diligent, planned, scheduled person who actually follows through. I've always been someone that goes with the flow, does what I want when I want. But you just cannot complete training with that mindset. You have at least 90 minutes each weekday to put in, and 3-5 hours each weekend day. You can't just wing it, you have to have a plan and follow through with that plan.

The past 5 months, I have tried to train most days in the morning. I have to get up between 5am and 6am, and usually start training by 6 or 6:30. Does it suck getting up early? Totally. Do I bounce out of bed to train? NO. I battle a little mentally most mornings but know it's always going to produce the best results and help me be able to focus on work the rest of the day instead of worrying about getting my training in. I've found if I don't get my training in in the mornings, I feel like a zombie half of the day. Like my body is in some kind of recovery mode.

We (my husband and I) have been on a strict training schedule since the beginning of February but have been triathlon training consistently since last summer. Our race is July 26th, Ironman Canada!!!! While I'm anxious about the Whistler hills, I'm trying to focus on the bigger picture and realize how fantastic the last 5 months have been and how much I have transformed - physically, mentally, emotionally. It's really been quite the journey. I can't wait to cross that finish line and hear the words "KALEE, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!" Every time I have trouble getting going in my workout, or am struggling on a long ride or run, I play that moment in my mind. I picture how sweet that moment will be, the culmination of all the work I've put it, to finally become an Ironman.

I. can't. wait. All of my feelings.

Isaac said creating this blog was a little late to the game, as we're just days away from starting our official taper. But to be honest, unless Ironman kills me, I've found my sport. I fully intend to do an Ironman each year until I stop enjoying it. I think Isaac and I will start picking destination events. Despite the pain, the crashes, the constant exhaustion, the fear, the doubt, how much I despise super long bike rides...

I love it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi