Skip to main content

Long weekends

For the last 5 months, our weekends have been dedicated to training, spending about 4-7 hours each weekend day. Long rides can range from 3-7 hours, followed by a 20-50 minute transition run (the longest rides were followed by longer transition runs). We would normally long bike and t-run on Saturdays and bike, long run, and lift on Sundays. The longest run we did during training was 18 miles, not too bad!! (in comparison to the 7 hour rides, I'd take a 3 hour run any day!) Our longest ride was 103 miles.

This weekends training was:
Saturday: 3.5-4.5hr ride and 30min t-run
Sunday: 1hr ride followed by a key 90minute run (each workout that has more than one component has a key focus - the important activity. You might have a swim, bike, run Saturday but only the bike and run are key )

Compared to what we've been doing for volume the last 3 months, this weekend is nothing. We still have so much time after training to actually do regular people weekend stuff (for example, today - hit up the Ballard Seafood fest, Beerfest in Seattle Center, help my best friend with some wedding prep... so much time to do other things!!)

The long weekends have been so exhausting. Spending a total of 6+hours most weekend days and having no real opportunity to recharge is tough. Heading into work on Mondays more depleted than I left on Friday has been killer. I've done my fair share of complaining, but keep reminding myself of my dad's words of wisdom, "You chose to do this, everything you do is a choice". Doing Ironman was a choice that I made, I might as well enjoy the ride! Why waste time in life doing something you don't enjoy? Yes, it's pretty common knowledge that biking is my weakest sport and the part I like the least. Still, it's been incredible to see more of this gorgeous state from a whole new perspective. I rode around lake Washington, rode all over the wineries and then up through gorgeous Snohomish, rode from Renton to Arlington. I ran through every street in this city that is my new home, ran the waterfront multiple times a week, and ran around Lake Union about 100 times.... I'm so fortunate to have been able to get through this training, that my body has been able to absorb it and grow from it. I've gotten faster and more confident in all three sports. My mind has gotten stronger. During sprint intervals on the bike and run in the past where I would have quit or thought I was going to die, now I just keep pushing, even harder until the end. Total mental transformation. I sometimes tell myself that my legs will go out before I'll quit. My lungs might feel like they're going to explode during a 10 minute sprint interval, but I now know they won't and that all that is just my mind wanting to quit.

People keep asking me if I'm nervous for Ironman. If I'm scared. The best words to describe how I feel would probably be: excited, anxious, ready. I know I've done the work. I've put in the time,  I'm mentally strong enough for this, and after this taper my body will be ready too.

In two weeks from now, I'll be just starting the bike.

Two weeks.

I'm ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi