Skip to main content

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training.

I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a time, which has been enjoyable. I still find myself checking my tri watch after a 20 minute warm up deciding what intervals I should run. Would it really hurt to throw in some sprint intervals? I have to remind myself to just get back in touch with the simple joy of running - with no agenda, no set workout, no heart rate goals, just running. Simple, free, mindless. I never thought that would be so hard! I'm taking a break from my trainer. I got on the bike last week and realized how miserable spinning for hours on that thing is when I don't have a goal immediately in front of me. I have yet to get back into the pool, but will next week. Since I'm a pretty decent swimmer, it's still going to be fun to hop in the pool and get in a couple miles. Also, I need all my lap swim friends to see my new swim cap... Probably going to have a lot more lane cred (like street cred?) now when I'm leading our fast lane in the morning.

I'm already starting to research how to get faster for my next Ironman. I know I need to improve on the bike and actually push the marathon. I'm happy with my swim time, and that will work great for next year. I found this article on how to get faster for your next Ironman, perfect.

Found this list of "you know you're an Ironman when"...


20. You see a 26.2 sticker on a car and you say to yourself 'That's all? How cute'
19. None of your friends will train with you anymore.
18. You find yourself saying 'Mike Reilly says so'.
17. You spend more money on your bike than your car.
16. When you say to your friends, 'it's JUST a marathon!'
15. You have more workout clothes than work clothes.
14. You've peed on yourself two to three times that day. And that's just on the bike and run. Swim start peeing doesn't count. (I do NOT pee on myself on the bike or run....)
13. When you stand looking out over a beautiful lake, and your only thought is ... I'd like to swim that!
12. The tattoo is done!
11. You no longer think of a brick as a masonry construction term.
10. When you find yourself saying things like 'I'm busy tomorrow, I may only get in a five-hour workout.'
9. When you wear your finisher's hat and medal with an Ironman T-shirt and flipflops to a 'coat and tie required' steakhouse after the race and they gladly let it slide.
8. When your perfume/cologne is chlorine.
7. You book a race on your first wedding anniversary by mistake. All the while your spouse knows and supports and encourages you signing up.
6. When your FB profile picture is of you finishing an Ironman, and you've decide not change it until you finish your next one.
5. You start wearing tri shorts as normal underwear.
4. When you have little to no toe nails left.
3. You get goose bumps every time you watch one.
2. When you race for the ones that can't.
1. You smile and understand every one of these comments.

Below is the video from our race day. No one on my team made an appearance unfortunately, but it makes me laugh how hard they tried to NOT show footage of the pouring rain, because  they want this to inspire people to sign up for next year!! Also, the whole first minute is footage from the year before - there was no sun like that!!!


As I'm working to embrace normal life, outside of running quite a bit, I've added in 3 yoga classes a week (which I love) and some circuit/tabata/lifting. It's nice being able to lift what I want instead of lifting to focus on tri muscles!

Lots of exciting events are coming up - I leave for Hawaii in a little over a week. I'm looking forward to exploring Kauai. I've never been there. I'm hoping I connect to it like I do Maui. I'm looking forward to running all over the island, getting lost a few times, and doing something new every day. No set plans, all spontaneity. I'm proud of Isaac, who is a serious planner, for going along with this idea. Then I'm looking forward to geeking out on Kona. We're staying right by the swim start for Ironman World Championships! Might go for an ocean swim at the swim start... ALSO, the whole reason we're going, I'm obviously looking forward to watching two incredible friends tie the knot.


I'm looking forward to lots of live music next month. Bumbershoot is happening Labor Day weekend, Seattle's biggest music festival in my front yard. My favorite part is discovering new music I'd never find on my own. Last year at Bumbershoot the highlight for me without a doubt was Panic! at the Disco. I love them. I still listen to them on most of my runs (lately, the video below has the perfect beat for my runs and I love this video). I'm bummed they won't be there this year, but I'm looking forward to seeing The Weeknd, Atmosphere, Zedd, Brand New (throwback to high school), Bassnectar, Ben Harper, and in the next month discovering more new bands. I'm also looking forward to my sister being home again. She'll be home for the whole festival.



A lot to look forward to in the next month. I guess all that will fill the training void for now. 192 days until I start training again. Never, ever thought I'd have a countdown to START training again. Funny how things change.

Comments

  1. Hi Kalee! I found your blog while browsing for race reports - I'm going to be doing IM Canada next year! (2016). I also live in Seattle and got into IM training initially thru running :-) I remember when a marathon seemed "long" and a long workout was 2 hours! Anyway, good luck w this years training and keep up the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn! Good luck with IM Canada - it really is a gorgeous race, and Seattle has enough hills to get you prepared for the all the climbing! Have you done any other IM races?

      Delete
  2. I just noticed you responded to my comment! This will be my first IM...I'm already excited (and nervous!) haha. It's such a big achievement that you finished that race and ESPECIALLY with the weather! I am sure that I will be more prepared for it than I would have been had I not read race reports. I keep telling myself MUST DO MORE HILLS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely cannot do enough hills to prepare! If you do, the hills there won't seem so bad. You will do great - this was my first, and my sister and husbands first - and we all finished! I figure if you can finish Ironman Canada as your first - you can take on any Ironman race! Feel free to reach out any time if you want to chat! (kaleerw6@gmail.com)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi