Skip to main content

PID - Post Ironman Depression

Ironman Canada is over. Training is over. I have all the free time in the world to do whatever I want. You would think that after training for 6 months, I would be excited to get my life back... but the feeling is totally the opposite. Sadness, let down, feeling lost... what do I do when I don't train? Am I still an Ironman when I'm not training for one? What next? What now?

PID's - Post Ironman Depression - Definitely dealing with this post race.

I've always felt a little let down after marathons, but I've never put as much of myself into a race as I did for Ironman, so the letdown has been pretty huge. The worst part about the weeks after race day is being unable to workout to make yourself feel better and get those endorphin's flowing. You can start swimming again a few days after the race, but I got an m-dot tattoo last week (first tattoo ever - WOW, tattoos hurt...) so no swimming for me for a couple weeks. We're allowed to start biking after a week off and running after two weeks. ALL I want to do is run, but only 6 more days and I'll get back into it. I'll start biking again tomorrow to see how that feels. Everything I read keeps saying to just take it easy and let my body heal, but that's a lot harder than you'd think. I've worked out 6-7 days a week for the last 6 months. Now I'm supposed to "take a couple weeks off?" I'm dying.

Luckily I was busy all weekend and barely noticed I didn't spend 4-8 hours each day working out. Had a fabulous day Saturday at Kelsey's bachelorette party! We went all over the city on a party bus and danced all night. Loved it, love her. Can't wait for her wedding in Hawaii in less than 3 weeks!!!! Sunday we spent a ton of time with family, spent some time on Lake Washington, and said goodbye to Chelsey and Stephen. Had such a great time with them in town!

Thank you team for the koozies!
Such a great night with a great group of ladies
Thanks Chelsweets for the yummy Ironman treats!

Three days after the race, once I was finally able to walk like a normal human being again, I decided I was going to do another Ironman next year. Post Ironman Depression is NOT fun and I cannot wait to start training again. While there were some moments during the race I swore to myself I would never do another Ironman, overall I loved it. It's also hard to imagine having a spouse train for Ironman and not train for it alongside them, Isaac and I would have to spend way too much time apart and it was clear he wanted to do another race. So, we signed up for Ironman Boulder today (race on August 7th, 2016). I'm ready to do more focused training, improve my weakness (cycling) and aim for an actual time goal next year. I still have ultra marathons on my to-do list, but I think I'll keep doing Ironman for a while. 

Doing Ironman for the first time is really expensive. You have to get a decent bike, a wetsuit, all kinds of bike components (aerobars, clip-in pedals, tool kits, spare tubes and CO2 cartridge, helmet, clip-in shoes, water bottle cages, etc), a trainer so you can ride inside, bike clothing, a pool membership, etc. So many expenses. Isaac and I spent over $15k getting everything we needed for Ironman Canada. It'll be nice to not have to buy all new stuff, but I am looking forward to getting an actual tri bike. Last year I bought a road bike and converted it into a semi tri bike - added clip-in pedals and aerobars. Getting an actual tri bike will mean I have gear shifters in my aerobars and can stay in the aero position to switch gears, not have to hop up and down constantly. Tri bikes are more aerodynamic in general and are quicker. I'd say 75% of the athletes at Ironman Canada had legit tri bikes. I'm ready to join the club!

Sh*t Triathletes say... hilarious. I've sounded like this guy way too much this year.



I'm feeling PIDS a lot less now that we've signed up for another race. The countdown is technically 369 days, but we'll start training in February. 6 months to enjoy other hobbies (so much more yoga in my future). The Kirkland Triathlon is in a month and a half, still debating if I want to race such a short distance and suit up for that race. TBD.

Can't WAIT for Ironman Boulder!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi