Skip to main content

First half of 2019

I'd apologize for the lack of posts this year, but:

  1. I don't know how many people keep up on this
  2. I'm busy
  3. I'm not sorry 😏
Life comes in waves, and 2019 so far has been really busy. A lot of travel, finally a lot of training (seriously thankful), but at the end of the day, very manageable stress life levels. 


I feel so fortunate to be able to train this year. Losing most of last year, not being able to run, I am constantly reminding myself to just appreciate every run, even when it's track sprints... Every time I think something like "but I'm so sore, I'm so tired, I don't wanna...." I remember that it's a privilege to be able to move my body and do the things I do!


The last couple months have had some really fun triathlon upgrades! I got a new Roka wetsuit that I'm pumped about - I've been swimming in a really entry level suit since I started in triathlon. Of all three sports, swimming is the one where I feel like I do pretty well compared to others, so I deserved something speedier! On the bike side, I just got a new QR PRsix that is definitely too fast of a bike for my biking capabilities, and I know I shouldn't love an inanimate object with no soul, but she's gorgeous and so fast. Generally things have been ok on the bike this season. Last year I made some crazy progress on the bike since I wasn't able to run, and this year I'm feeling a bit stagnant in terms of progress. Swimming has actually progressed a bit, and I'm getting much faster in the pool which I can't complain about. Running is making a comeback - my pacing is alright, I've just never pushed myself for speed in my life and holy shit, running fast is so hard. It reminds me why I do endurance -  I love that it's more about the mental state to keep pushing through pain and override your brain vs dying and trying to push as hard as possible until you can't breathe and want to collapse. Actually, maybe it's kind of the same, I just like steady vs speedy.


This years' upcoming potential race calendar (as I now understand everything is TBD for racing but this is what I'm registered for)
CDA 70.3 - June 30
Ironman Mont Tremblant - August 18


The thought of racing a full Ironman again scares the shit out of me. It'll have been almost two years since I strung together full Ironman distances, and actually almost 2 years since I even did a full marathon. I know that the training will prepare me and set me up to have the best day I can have, and that all I can do is put in the work now and control what I can control on that day... but sometimes I wonder why I had to fall in love with such a challenging sport? I'm not sure what goals I have for Mont Tremblant. I obviously want to do better than AZ, but the course is way hillier, so time goals don't necessarily make sense... we'll see. Goals: a well executed day, for sure. To finish, of course. Other than that - run a faster marathon?


I'll try to write a bit more as I progress through this season as I'm ramping up into actual Ironman training. I'm working with a new coach, ready to get after it this year and keep getting better/faster/stronger. Of all things, I've had some mental blocks with testing this year, but last weekend I ran 14 miles hungover at an 8:03 min/mile average, so things are still progressing in the right direction. 

Also new this year - I'm the Team Nuun Regional Captain for the PnW! I love being a part of Team Nuun, couldn't train without Nuun, and have formed so many friendships through this team. Excited to continue leading the meetups and seeing some of you at them!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi