Skip to main content

Week 4: TESTING



Week 4 - TESTING WEEK! This week focused on determining target heart rate zones in each sport to be able to better push in future training. Last year I didn't do heart rate testing. Many Ironman athletes base their workouts and heart rate zones based on perceived effort which is how I trained last year. In an attempt to stick to my goal to improve on the bike, I knew that this year I needed to do the bike test and find my true target heart rates instead of just listening to my body. It was scary to do this test - because Isaac and I tested the same night, and it's a little embarrassing to see how weak I am at cycling compared to him. I hate being weaker and slower... For testing, you have to have someone there with you to write down your heart rate and perceived effort at each MPH increase. I'm hoping that having done this test and knowing my target heart rate zones moving forward, I will improve my bike time and skill. Also, Isaac ordered me a new triathlon bike online this weekend... which should help me improve as well... pictures to come when it comes in!
Swims weren't too long this week. I've been so bad - I've been skipping technique swims because I hate them, and this week instead of skipping it I stole a swim from week 12 to do instead. I am going to need to force technique swims in the future, I can't always skip them. They are just so slow and I'm always in the pool at the busiest times in the fast lane... so I don't want to be doing drills for 30 minutes slowing down my lane!
My run on Thursday was so gorgeous - the weather was so warm I ran in a t-shirt, I saw a group of seals along the waterfront, and the city was alive and vibrant with people celebrating st pattys day. It was gorgeous!
 
Saturday: I switched my weekend workout days. I wanted to get in a mountain run before the runs get too long to take the trek out to Cougar Mountain. I rode my bike for an hour then drove out to hit 90 minutes on the trails. I can't find the words to describe how I feel trail running, especially out there. I just love it. When people always claim that running helps them "clear their mind" or whatever, only trail running out at that mountain actually hits that zen place for me these days. I still love running in the city, but trail running is incredibly different. It takes focus, it takes mental strength to push up 10 minutes of uphill climbing, it takes navigation skills... it just connects you to earth. I love it. I came to the realization yesterday while I was running in terms of what my goals are and why I'm doing Ironman. I do love the sport, but I'm not concerned with qualifying for world champs in Kona... Isaac is. I am going to help Isaac qualify for Kona, and then he is going to help me run a 100 mile trail race. Long trail races like that require support, and at times allow a running buddy for portions. So that is my goal - get Isaac to Kona, and he will get me to a long trail race.
Sunday: 3 hour trainer ride and 20 minute t-run. Same as I've done a few other weekends. It's going to hurt as I'm super sore from the trails yesterday and lifting afterwards. I am currently waiting to get on my bike, since Isaac and I are on opposite workouts he gets to start on the trainer with his 1 hour ride pre-run. Can't complain about sipping coffee and getting a chance to wake up before sitting on that saddle for 3 hours. (I can't wait for my new bike - it comes with a way better seat than I've been riding on - it'll be a lot more comfortable!)
 
Successful week. I hit every workout this week except a lifting session on Thursday. Heading into another build week but looking forward to it. Can't believe I'm already 4 weeks into training, feels like less.
 
I can't say I found that spark this week that I've been looking for, outside of having the best run ever on the trails yesteday, but I didn't have a tough time getting in my workouts and getting shit done, so that's been nice. Training was enjoyable this week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi