Skip to main content

Week 3 - "Recovery"


Week 3: "Recovery" week. Workouts are either shorter, less intense, or some optional workouts aren't even an option this week. No 60-90 minute ride on Wednesday, no optional swim on Thursday, no transition run on Saturday or spin before the run on Sunday. Overall, a few hours less volume.

Tuesday's trainer ride had a lot of fast spin - which is not something I'm great at. I can churn through tough gears all day, but to really increase my cadence takes a lot of effort and attention - if I'm not watching my cadence the entire interval, I always seem to sink below 100 RPM. 
Wednesday's swim felt just as hard as a normal swim but was a lot easier than it usually is with a 90 minute morning ride. 
My run on Thursday morning was in CRAZY wind. I got blown into a cement wall. It was not ideal weather conditions, but rain or shine or storm we run! 
I took my rest day on Monday, so I was supposed to swim Friday, but I skipped the technique swim this week. I hate technique swims. I know it's snobby of me, but I just don't feel the need to work on my form, even though I know I should. During Ironman last year, in the grand scheme of my 15 hour day, the swim took ONE HOUR AND TWELVE MINUTES. 72 minutes out of over 900 minutes. While I know I need to be in great swim shape, and swimming helps continue to build fitness without causing a lot of joint or muscle pain, I am just not as focused on the swim this year. It's not my weakness and while I shouldn't let it become one, I am not going to worry about it as much. Ok, off my soap box for now.
Saturday/Sunday: Saturday's trainer ride wasn't too bad, and Sunday's run was SUPER rainy but I got in 7.6 miles in 64 minutes. 

Training feels really different this year. Last year, fear drove me. I was so afraid of this beast of a race. Could I do it? I knew this was something that I could easily fail if I didn't work hard. That drove me every single day. Got me out of bed, got me to the pool, kept me pushing through 6 hour bike rides. I'm feeling very indifferent to training this week. What is driving me? Why am I doing Ironman again? What is my goal, what do I want to gain or accomplish? What is going to push me? Yes, everyone who knows me knows I'm doing my 2nd Ironman, so it's not a lack of accountability. I'm missing that spark this week. That spark that makes training exciting and not a chore. The spark that proves I'm growing and working towards something. I know I'll find it, but I missed it this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi