Skip to main content

February



I am obsessed with this song. It's been on repeat all week.

It's February. I'm sure that means different things for different people. Some people think of this as a romantic month, maybe another month filled with winter (it's been 50-60 degrees in Seattle this month...), maybe just a short month. For me, February means the start of my 6-month Ironman training plan. Back to scheduled workouts with structured distance goals. Back to focus. Back to dedication. Back to the pool, back on my bike, back to tri focused lifting (it's not back to running because I'll actually run far less than I have been running the last few months). Back to fatigue, back to barely being able to move on the weekends, back to needing 10 hours of sleep a night to recover. Back to focusing on fueling, protein intake and hydration.

I haven't been in the pool since before Ironman. I got back on my bike three weeks ago, and it HURT.... I can't wait to feel like a triathlete again. I can't wait to give my bad knee a break from 30-50 runing miles a week. Getting in the pool helps a lot. I can't wait to feel the burn in my legs when I transition from my bike rides to my short transition runs, how much that hurts for the first month before I build into that being normal.

I've loved having the last 6 months to spend time doing what I want when I want, and traveling. As much as I love these adventures, its time to refocus on my goals for August 7th. Ironman Boulder. I remember after Ironman Canada was over last year, I had never felt such depression, sadness, lack of purpose, and overall I felt totally lost. I'm glad I found myself again, but I'm almost looking forward to "losing" myself in this sport again. During training and during Ironman, you have to dig so deep, pushing past limits you never knew you even had, depths you never knew you could reach. You have to push past every boundary that life has set for you, that you set for yourself. When I tell people that I spend up to 8 hours each weekend day swimming, biking and running during the main months of training, they look at me like that's impossible. I know that it isn't. It's not even impossible to workout for twice that amount of time. Even triple, which is what I will have to do to accomplish a 100-mile trail race. We need to stop using the word impossible - stop letting it guide our choices...  If you stop using that word, I think you'd be amazed at what you find truly is possible, no matter what part of your life it applies to.


I know a lot of those of you who are reading this aren't currently endurance athletes. I'm sure I sound insane to you. But 8 years ago, I was just a girl who ran 5 miles a few times a week, did some weight lifting, sometimes did the elliptical machine. I was not born some super endurance athlete. A year and a half ago, when I signed up for my first Ironman, I had not even done a triathlon yet!!! All it takes is carving out some time to build your endurance, form, and courage in the three sports, patience to let yourself grow, and a commitment to your goal. If it's something you really want, you can get there. And if you tell yourself it's something you can do, you WILL. If you want to learn more about all this - just shoot me an email (kaleerw6@gmail.com). I grab coffee every month or so with people from my company who know I did Ironman to answer questions about training and time management. I know it sounds daunting, but I cannot say it enough - IT IS 100% SOMETHING YOU COULD DO! Ironman changed my life and who I am for the better. If you watch the video below and are anything like me, it will give you the chills. 

Anyways, HAPPY IRONMAN TRAINING SEASON to all you other Ironmen out there. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails, in the pool and in the gym. Anything is possible, and this is another year to prove that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi