Skip to main content

Loss



When I suffer loss, I tend to internalize my emotions, and push myself in other areas of my life to distract myself. I try not to think about it. The first time I suffered major loss was my Oma. I was 16. She had had cancer for 5 years and didn't tell us. I found out 3 months before she died, when after a fall down stairs, a nurse accidentally slipped to my dad that they couldn't give her a certain medication because it wouldn't work well with her chemo. We spent those last months with her in the hospital. By the time she passed, I was so angry, devastated, confused, lost. I couldn't believe someone I loved so much wouldn't tell me we had such limited time. I would have done so many things differently. I would have called her more. I still have her phone number memorized. I couldn't cope with all of the emotions, so instead of grieving, I rebelled. I tried to numb the pain any way I could. I lost who I was, for a year. To this day I still miss her, I still don't think I've gotten over losing her.

Yesterday, we put Pepper down. She was 15 years old. She lived a long, happy life. She was ready to go. She stopped eating and drinking water, her liver was failing and had been for a while. I spent Monday saying goodbye to her and spending as much time with her as I could until we went to the vet. I know it's silly to be so obsessed with her when I have my own little puppy, but she and her sister Ginger were our family puppies. We got them when I was in 8th grade. Pepper was always rebellious, always breaking the rules. She didn't automatically love everyone - you had to earn her love. But when you did, she was devoted. When we got the puppies, my mom made the rule that they couldn't sleep with us in bed, because she didn't want that to be a habit when we went off to college. Whenever I would sleep in on the weekends, or all summer, as soon as my mom would leave, Pepper would sneak upstairs and scratch on my door, until I'd let her in my room. She would cuddle with me and nap all morning until I was ready to get up at noon. She got me through so many breakups. It's like, she could sense my emotions, and if I was upset she would not leave my side. If I cried, she would freak out. On Monday, she could barely lift her head. As she was on the table at the vet, minutes before she was euthanized, I hugged her, sobbing. She lifted her head, trying to find my face to be there for me. Even until the end, she tried to be there for me. 
I love you, little peppy monkey. I will miss you.


I don't really know how to cope with loss. I cried a lot on Monday. Yesterday, I cried 3 times while on my lunchtime run... while running. I'm sure I looked insane. I feel like such a wuss, but I'm trying to allow myself to feel the emotions, and that it's ok to be sad. Maybe then I won't hold onto it as long as I have in the past. Pepper, and Ginger, deserve to be mourned.

In happier news, Panic! at the Disco's new album is SO.GOOD. I have it on repeat. Love them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi