Skip to main content

My Biggest Failure - My first marathon

I've never let fear of failure hold me back from trying new things. I know that if I put my mind to something, that I will accomplish it. I might be scared, but that means it was a good goal. That's what my first marathon was all about, setting a scary goal and accomplishing it.

When I was 23 I was starting to consider myself a "runner". I had run a lot of half marathons and realized that it was time to conquer a full marathon. I picked a race, a training plan, and got going. I did not miss a SINGLE training run. I ran 6 days a week, hit every single mile on my long runs, got a lot faster, and more confident in my running. My sister and I headed down to Portland with my family, Isaac, and two of my best friends. I woke up on race day scared but ready. I had put in the time, done the work, and was injury free.



That morning was rainy and a little chilly. I had been running at 5am everyday, so I wore what I'd typically wear on those runs. This was my first mistake - I overdressed. I should have worn at least one less layer.

We started running. I noticed some fatigue in my shoulders around mile 3 and shook it off as nerves. I was sweating pretty heavily, but it was raining, so I figured that would help counteract my body temp and I didn't want to ruin mine and my sister's matching outfits for the race and take off a layer. Back then, I didn't really understand endurance nutrition. I ran to not get fat - why would I eat while I was running? I packed only about 200 calories for the race and figured I would eat a couple Gu's along the way (100cal each). During Ironman, I learned that I need to take in calories every 30-45 minutes, which I certainly did not do during my first marathon.

By mile 13, I was exhausted. I lied and told my sister that I needed to stop to pee so I could get a bit of a break. I did not even have enough liquid in my system to pee anything. This was my second mistake - not recognizing how dehydrated I was. I was dizzy, but I was NOT going to stop running. By mile 20, it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with my sister. I asked her to go ahead and I'd meet her at the finish line. I slowed down my pace, but had a hard time keeping focus. My world was spinning, but I kept going, I knew I could do this. Somewhere after mile 22 I blacked out. The next thing I knew, I woke up in an ambulance. They asked me if I knew what day it was, what month, what year. I couldn't answer. Did I know where I was? No. It was terrifying. They took me to the hospital. I peed in a cup - my pee was brown. Apparently, my kidneys had started to fail from dehydration. I could have cared less about what was wrong with my body. I was so ashamed. People had come to watch me finish my first marathon. And I had failed. I had told everyone I knew I was doing the marathon, and I couldn't even finish it. I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out.

After being hooked up to an IV for a few hours at the hospital and a lot of tears, they sent me packing (after I promised to go see a doctor once I got back home to make sure I was recovering and there wasn't a bigger issue, there wasn't). The next day I stayed home from work, too embarrassed to face my co-workers who sent me off to Portland with such enthusiasm and good wishes. 

I had a lot of defeating thoughts go through my mind after that race. I thought that this whole ordeal just meant that I wasn't actually a runner. I wasn't cut out for it, I wasn't good enough to be a marathoner. My body wasn't made for it. I thought about throwing away my running shoes. I was done. I was NOT a runner after all.

The next day we left for Maui. I don't know how long I would have been in that funk if we hadn't left for that trip to help distract me from the shame. Out of sheer habit, I packed running shoes, just in case we went hiking or something. After a marathon, you rest up for a few days to recover. By the end of that week, daydreaming about running along the beach, I laced back up. I was scared. I ran with a heavy heart still full of this thought that I was a total failure. During that pivotal run, it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't a failure after all. Maybe the biggest failure would be NOT lacing back up. Not trying again. Quitting the only thing that at that point in life had made total sense to me. Running was how I worked through my problems, found my strength, found confidence. Why would I quit something that gave me so much? I decided I would try again 6 months later. And I did. And I finished. I wore the shirt of the marathon I didn't finish and got redemption, in my book.



I know so many of us fear failure. It's scary to sign up for races that seem impossible. What if I can't do it? What if it's too hard? All I have to say is that I encountered what I thought would be the worst thing that could happen. Failing. I HAVE A DNF (did not finish). It happened. I can't say I'm happy about it, but I got over it and got better because of it.  Why waste your life not doing things because, what if we can't do it? Why would you NOT start something because you're too scared you can't finish? Fucking ridiculous. Go big. Don't waste your life away playing it safe. You'll end up with far more regrets than failing.

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi