Skip to main content

My 2018 season recap

My gut instinct to describe my 2018 season is "fail". I DNF'ed my first triathlon, wasn't able to race the ultra trail ragnar in Zion, and I didn't toe the start line for Ironman Chattanooga. Really, nothing this year went the way I thought it would! I didn't get to run at all for half of this year and am STILL battling this lingering hamstring injury.

It's not in my nature to be negative for too long - I am hard on myself but never dwell on it for too long. In reality, reflecting on the few short course races I did get to do - I placed higher overall in each race than I ever have (despite having NO run fitness). My run times were terrible (to be clear, I was thrilled to just be ABLE to run, it was a gift to get to a finish line), but my bike and swim were way better. I have a whole new relationship with my bike. Even though I felt cursed this season and was so upset every time I re-strained my hammy (which happened like 4 times), maybe in the long term this wasn't the worst thing for my tri future. My power on the bike increased a lot and I finally started trying in the pool again. I actually looked forward to my trainer rides (most of the time). Thank goodness, since I train 99% of my rides indoors...

I'm starting to race plan for next year. I'm thinking a couple/few 70.3's and for sure a full. After spectating the World Championships in Kona a couple months back, I am fired up to do another full. I'm thinking:
70.3 Cour d'Alene
Ironman Mont Tremblant
70.3 Cabo?
Hopefully some fun short course stuff in between

There are a lot of local races I'd love to be able to race/participate in, but we'll see where those fall. This year I'll be working with a new coach still through D3 Multisport (cannot recommend them enough - if you're looking for race plans or coaching) and racing with a new team! #wattieink I'm hopeful I can get this hamstring healed/way better before February when I start structured training again. 

Some highlights from this year - despite my injury, had some great times with my running/tri friends and still had a really great year! Thankful for all of you!


Zion Ultra Ragnar - <3 these people!!


Wattie Ink After party! Kona was amazing, hugely in part to our Wattie family!

love getting to train with friends!


Wilson won his first 5k - first dog! :)
So thankful for my nuun friends!!! #runch

Some racing pics:


always check the garmin

RTB local tri

Bonney Lake Tri (AG 3rd)
AG 2nd at Lake Meridian

my only trail race this year! (unless I get some in before EOY!)

You know, overall I think I did the most I could this year given my injury. Thankful for my run and tri friends for helping me stay positive and for racing/training together! Hopeful for a 2019 season that better matches what I'm hoping to accomplish, and to get to race hard (and fit)!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi