Skip to main content

Why?

I'm now over a month out from Ironman Boulder. It already feels like a lifetime ago. I'm turning my training focus to my 50k (31 miles) in 14 weeks. I'm a little scared but it's that fear that drives me, so I'm also excited. This will be my longest run race to date! My training plan's longest run is a trail marathon, which I've also never done...looking forward to spending some quality time up at Cougar Mountain getting ready!!

I've reflected a lot on why I love endurance racing the last couple weeks. Whenever people ask, I have such a hard time articulating why I keep signing up for these long races. Why I push myself through grueling training plans when I could just be brunching, day drinking, shopping, sleeping in, Netflix binging ... all things that sound fun. But doing those things doesn't fill my tank. It doesn't build a fire in me. Living that life makes me feel empty. Unfulfilled. Bored. Sad.

So that's why I am always training. I am always hunting that next thing to find that point I thought I couldn't break past - and then keep going. I love that pain that burns in your quads, in your calves, in your back, in your core, in your shoulders... where every step hurts, but you keep going because that's the moment you know you're growing. That's the moment the rest of the world stops and quits. That's when people think their body can't keep going. But that's the moment I am searching for. When your lungs are burning, your hammies are screaming, the path ahead just keeps climbing with no end in sight... that moment that instead of stopping I keep going. Even if I think I have nothing left in the tank, I know that I always do. I tell myself that I'm an athlete, I can overcome this, I won't stop. No climb is too long, too steep, too hard. As long as I put one foot in front of the other, I'll make it to the top, make it to the end. 


Having that mindset essentially makes anything possible. I have no doubt that in the future I could run a 100 mile race. Sure, I can't even comprehend training for that yet and have building to do, but if I put in the time, I am sure I can check that off my bucket list too.


BUMBERSHOOT 2016
Last weekend was Bumbershoot, Seattle's music festival! It was an AWESOME weekend. Highlights: G-Eazy (currently obsessed with him), Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Fetty Wap, Halsey, Bishop Briggs, Jai Wolf, Gryffin, Ryan Caraveo, Third Eye Blind, Jojo. Billy Idol. 






Fall running <3






























Other news - I've become an ambassador for one of my fav brands - Love the Pain! They're an endurance sports brand (www.lovethepain.com).


Loooooove my new gear, thanks LTP!

The weather has already changed to Fall here in Seattle - which most people from here complain about but don't actually mind. I don't mind gray days. I like Fall - running in Fall is ideal temp for me. I don't mind some rain - I feel like it cleanses the city, and me when I run in it.
Well, happy Fall Seattle. I'm looking forward to cooler temps, leaves falling all over my trails, pumpkin flavors in way too many things (basic white girl bs), football, and all these tourists frequenting my neighborhood less!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi