Skip to main content

Weeks 15-18 and overtraining

Training Logs:

Week 18:
Mon: 4200m swim
Tues: 90min turbo trainer, 40 minute t-run
Wednesday: 3800m swim
Thursday: 80 minute run, 30-60 chisel phase lifting
Friday: off
Saturday: 2.5-3 hour run, chisel phase lifting
Sunday: 5-6 hour ride, 15-20 min t-run





<3


family time :)

First tri of the season - took 4th in my age group!

wetsuit chafe - ouch!

Father's day - love him!

Turned 29 this month - rang it in on the trails...

It's been a busy month! Training has continued to ramp, and I hit my first burnout of this training cycle. I was so proud of myself for not missing workouts up until week 17, and for one week I skipped ALL of my swims. I don't know if I hit a point of over-training, but I felt really sick, nauseous, unmotivated to train, weak and swollen -  physically in a bad place. I started questioning why I was doing this to myself, do I even LIKE this sport, feeling like I forgot what normal life feels like... it was tough - it was a dark tunnel for a week, but I eventually emerged into the light of triathlon and Ironman! I did an Olympic Triathlon (1.5km swim, 40k bike, 10k run) which reminded me how much I love participating in races, connecting with others in my sport, and competing. Now, I'm feeling great about training again, starting to hit higher mileage on the runs which actually gets me into that "flow" state. Those moments are part of the reason I love being an endurance athlete - it takes hitting 14+ miles on a run for me to find those moments. 

I turned 29 this month. I don't feel any different, I'm a little closer to 30 but not worried about it. I haven't put off doing anything - the only thing I'm continuing to want to focus on in this next year of life is traveling more and running in more, new places. Next summer will bring European travels, and I can't WAIT! Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain.

Above was what I had written prior to week 18. Isaac went in for an MRI last  week and found out he has a stress fracture in his ankle. I know it was devastating to him. He has trained so hard to be even more competitive this year, and I think part of the reason he got injured was because of how hard he was running. He was averaging 7:30 min miles on runs that were supposed to be "easy". In our world, we're constantly straddling the line of pushing our bodies just hard enough to grow, but it's hard to tell when we're pushing too far and risking injury. Isaac is going to be fine - he'll only be able to swim and bike the next few weeks, and is allowed to do Ironman under the condition that he doesn't race the marathon - he can run/walk. Which is better news than we thought initially.

I signed up for my first 50k! The Deception Pass 50k in December. It looks gorgeous. Hopefully I'll be ready to hop back into another training schedule in time to get trained for this... 

The countdown is on to Ironman Boulder! Currently in Week 19: Recovery which feels amazing to get to sleep extra and not push tough intervals during the week. 

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend, Happy 4th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi