Skip to main content

Kauai and Kona

What an amazing trip. As hard as it was to leave the islands, it feels good to be home. 

Kauai - I loved how peaceful this island was and could not have been more relaxed the whole time we were there... I just think I need an island with a little more going on. Kauai was full of gorgeous beaches, crazy jungles, overall gorgeous greenery, flowers everywhere. I just like a little more adventure in my life. I ran the only real running trail multiple times, can't say the island is super runner friendly outside of that one trail - without being unsafe - which I just wasn't willing to risk with on and off flash flooding most of the time we were there. Maybe if hiking trails would have been open I would have loved this island a bit more. We explored the whole island in our red jeep (dope) listening to local music, which was a highlight for sure. Gorgeous island, a little too boring for me.

I wish we had spent more time in Kona. Not only was it amazing to run on Ali'i Drive where the Ironman World Championships finish line is, and see the swim start, the island (Hawaii, the big island) itself has so much going on. Everyone who has ever done an Ironman that was in Kona definitely wore their finishers gear and ran Ali'i, so it was cool to connect with all those people. In Hawaii, instead of the typical runner wave (run on popular running trails and you know what I'm talking about), it instead was a hang loose sign. After getting thrown that sign about 10 times I decided to adopt it. I can't say I was "hanging loose" or super relaxed on most of my runs in Hawaii (I ran about 25 miles on the trip). It was SO HOT and HUMID no matter how early you ran. I have even more respect for those who have raced Ironman Kona. I felt like I was about to die by mile 6 at 8am - I can't imagine completing the marathon in the heat of the day. The sun and humidity are relentless. I was sweating buckets at the end of each run.

Besides running, in Kona I had a couple amazing beachfront breakfasts, watched a pod of dolphins for an hour at breakfast, paddle boarded, went on a gorgeous dinner cruise, and had the most amazing time at Perry and Kelsey's wedding. We were lucky that the rain held off for the ceremony, and I think we were actually lucky that the rain came during the reception. I don't think I've ever danced barefoot in torrential downpours like that. It's something I will never forget. It was amazing. The band was the best, and we danced the night away. What an amazing celebration of a wonderful couple. Love you both.


Kauai


Running trail along the water





the tiniest tattoo





Kona


Ironman World Championship Swim Start!!!






Incredible band

Great group of girls :) Dancing in the rain.

Flight sunset.

Surreal.
It was so hard to leave the islands. Something about Hawaii makes me feel at home, makes me feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be. I sometimes day dream about beach bumming it out there, but then I remember that I live in the best city, surrounded by the best people, who I don't ever want to be away from. So I'll just keep vacationing there.

I think we'll go to Kona next year for IM world championships in October. That would be so incredible, to be there with the athletes, watching our idols race. Imagine what it will be like when Isaac and I make it there someday. I'm convinced that Isaac will actually qualify for Kona. I would probably lottery in. Dreams.

On the training/recovery front, I'm finally getting back some speed. Doing some interval work again, feels great to be feeling like a strong runner after being pretty slow post race. Still keeping my runs short (all less than 9 miles), still haven't gotten in the pool or on the bike... oops! I mean, it IS the offseason. 




I'm thinking about maybe running the Seattle Marathon as the actual marathon (Thanksgiving weekend). I need some kind of a race soon, something in the next 6 months. It'd be nice to run just a marathon, to enjoy that part since our last marathon was pretty overshadowed by that vicious bike ride.

On the musical front - BUMBERSHOOT IS THIS WEEKEND! So pumped. I have the app downloaded, have been listening to as many bands as possible this week, and am ready for the festival. Chelsey lands tonight, I'm ready to dance until I can't move this whole weekend. I'm most looking forward to Zedd and The Weeknd. 

Hope you all have a wonderful, long holiday weekend!!! Do something this weekend for yourself. Do something fun. Do something that makes you happy. I mean, what's the point if you're not happy?

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" - Abe Lincoln

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your trip recap! I've been to both Kauai and Kona twice and I also loved Kona more...and my first visit to Kona was m inspiration for Ironman (how original ;-). I want to take my bike the next time we go to Kona. Isn't running on Ali'l great!!? I'm going to Maui in November so hopefully I will find nice running spots! I did the Seattle half a few years ago and was thinking about doing the full. I decided to do the Victoria Marathon instead, but it's October 11th (less than a month away!) its an awesome course and super easy to get to via the Victoria Clipper!) Anyway, have fun training!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi