Skip to main content

Race Recap - Black Diamond 70.3! (another age group 1st!)

This last weekend I raced in my first ever 70.3 distance triathlon (half ironman)! I had a great race - not only did I manage to PR my half marathon time (1:47) after biking hard, I estimated a finish time around 6 hours and ended up with 5:26:20! I got first in my age group and 9th woman overall! I enjoyed the course, Raise the Bar put on a great event, and had a blast racing against some stellar triathletes!

Swim: It was a 2 loop swim course around a diamond of buoys. I started in the middle of the pack at the very front which is so not my style, and I did not enjoy getting kicked and dunked and slapped around! Someone hit my goggles and I freaked because they filled with water in the first 100m! I fixed them fortunately and focused the first 10 minutes on just finding some space where I could get into a groove! I found this woman who was doing a stellar job sighting and navigating around the slower men so I followed her the rest of the swim and then passed her at the very end. My watch said I swam in 35 minutes but the transition was long, so I ended up with a 36 min swim. Nice lake to swim in!

T1: WHY AM I SO SLOW AT T1?! I tried to push it but took 2:16 - and almost all the other top 10 girls did it in 1:30 or less. MUST WORK ON THIS!!! 

Bike: The course was 2ish loops with a little bit of difference on the 2nd loop. I knew going into this race that I had not tapered properly and might not have my fastest time. The first 10 miles of the bike, my legs just HURT. I couldn't get into a groove and I felt kind of sad I had pushed my training so hard the week before. Something clicked and after I got closer to 20 miles and my legs and my brain started cooperating. I spent most of the ride switching back and forth leading with a couple guys (I always pass going up hill, and they always fly by me going downhill). There were some false flats that were tough, but generally the course wasn't TOO hilly. Strava says I climbed 2,800 ft but I'm guessing it was less than 2k. I enjoyed the course for the most part (I did NOT like the sharp turnarounds that we had to do 3 times). It was tough trying to figure out my pacing - how hard to push to still have a decent half marathon... I think I could have gone harder because my legs felt pretty good at the start of the run, and I'd prefer them to feel a little more thrashed!! My bike time clocked in at 2:58:02! (56 miles)

T2: I had the EXACT same time - 2:16 on this transition. T2 should always be faster than T1. I was way too lax in this transition. I was SO stoked I biked less than 3 hours (I thought it'd take about 3:15) that I took a little time to make sure I had everything I needed for the half marathon ahead! (including sipping on some nuun performance - if I had cut a minute in this transition I could have hit 7th place overall!!!!)

Run: My legs felt pretty good going into the run! Which probably means I could have gone a little faster on the bike. It was a bit of a mental shift to have the adrenaline of the race pumping and know I needed to try to pace myself because I hadn't run a half marathon distance in a few months! I tried to beat my brain and just chip away at the miles. If I could get an hour in, I could finish this thing no problem. I'd be more than halfway done with the run and it'd be smooth sailing. So that was what I focused on. Run for an hour, and take it from there. The run course was a little strange - it was a one "loop" course, with one out and back you did twice and another out and back you did once. It felt like a lot of uphill. I was feeling pretty great once I hit the hour mark, but as soon as I hit about 9 miles I started getting some cramping in my legs. I was so worried the cramping would take over I slowed down (I had been averaging about 7:45 miles and dropped to 8:45 at that mile). I was worried this was going to ruin my whole race! I had to really take it easy for those next two miles but as soon as I got to 11 miles I knew I could still finish this thing mostly strong. The last mile of this run is around the lake in the woods which I LOVED, and because I feel comfortable on trails I passed a woman in the woods which took me from 10th place to 9th place overall! I ran across the finish line with a 1:47 half marathon split! Not a bad run considering I had to slow down pretty drastically for a few miles! (hoping to get this cramping issue figured out next time - I'd love to do below 1:45!)
That moment you realize you PR'ed your 1/2 time
Overall time - 5:26:20! I was thrilled with this time. 
Sticky, sweaty, nonstop smiles

Sharing the podium... tri love <3
I will definitely do the Black Diamond half again - if it lines up with my race calendar! It's hard to think about races for 2018 when I'm still 65 days out from my A race for the year... but definitely going to sprinkle some 70.3 races on my calendar (how cool would it be to qualify for world champs in south africa next year?!) along with a full distance race. Looking forward to mapping those out soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi