Skip to main content

Ragnar Wasatch Back with Team Nuun

If you follow me on social media - you are probably well aware of the fact that I ran Ragnar Wasatch Back with Team Nuun this weekend! When I got selected to join the team I was SO excited, but all I really thought about was the running part. I started doing some speed training so that I could fit in with my team and be quick enough because from what I could tell on their instas and fb's - they were better runners than me! They were all just getting back from the Boston Marathon, had run bunches of ultra's, and I wanted to be sure I fit in!

I had no idea what this weekend had in store for me. It's funny - because the running parts are the parts I'm going to forget. Yes - I ran 10.5 miles all alone in scorching heat, sprinted 2 miles in the middle of the night, and ran 6 miles all alone at 4ish in the morning and actually missed the entire course but somehow ended up at the exchange point by awesome chance. But what I'll remember is my team. The laughter, the inside jokes, the hours in the van, the gas station gyros, the nonstop caffeine intake (did you know that not everyone drinks coffee all day...what?), and the friendships I had no idea would mean so much to me at the end of the weekend. Despite no sleep and the deep need to get back to my new espresso machine, it was SO hard to leave these people. The thought that I might never see some of them again? Not ok. Already working on organizing another team race for August...

I was in van 1 - which if you're not familiar with road Ragnar, your team of 12 (or in our case 11) splits into two vans. Van 1 runs legs 1-6, van 2 runs 7-12, then van 1 picks up again. My van started the race at 10:30am on Friday, ran again around 9pm, and again around 4am on Saturday. We all had agreed this wasn't a competitive race for us - but I think deep down we didn't want to let anyone down and worked hard each leg. I don't know where all the time I wasn't running went, but it sure flew by. 

I drank SO MUCH NUUN. I laughed so much that my cheeks are still sore. I slept MAYBE 3 hours. In 72 hours. I met totally random people that were just like me, despite being totally different from me. I ran. It was an incredible weekend. I can't believe how lucky I was to be included in this team and had the most amazing time!

THANK YOU NUUN HYDRATION! I had no idea how amazing being an ambassador for Nuun would be. 


When you got lost and don't understand where those other runners came from





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi