Skip to main content

Trail running, Ultramarathons, and Veggies





One thing I love about running is how accessible of a sport it is. Lace up, step outside and go. No commute, no planning or extra equipment needed. Running is there for you when you need it, no matter what time of day, just you and the path ahead of you, one foot after the other. However, I am currently obsessed with the idea of hitting the trails again - which are no longer just a step outside of my workplace or home, making it not nearly as convenient as it used to be. I LOVE trail running and got two trail runs in this weekend which both required a small commute. Not only does trail running satisfy this hippie that lives inside of me that feels connected to the earth and believes my soul is tied to the woods, ocean and nature in general... but it is hard to describe how it makes me feel. The soft, unpredictable earth below my feet, the danger of roots and slippery leaves, mud, puddles and holes. The wildlife scurrying around, complete silence besides my own breath, the birds, and the wind shuffling in the trees. It's as if I'm connected to every human that has ever run - since the beginning of time, running in the woods has been the same as it is for me in that moment. I also love the hyper focus trail running requires. You have to keep your eyes directly on the path ahead - one misstep could mean a rolled ankle or worse. I have certainly fallen in the woods before, but thankfully no one is ever there to witness it.

I signed up for my first ultramarathon. January 9th - 50k.
Nothing too crazy - except more than half of it will be after the sun sets... night trail running, should be fun!

Since my last post, I have been researching ultras nonstop. I bought 3 ultra books (and pre-ordered a 4th). I started reading a book by Scott Jurek called Eat & Run. He's super famous in the ultra world. He has won almost all the elite ultramarathons - and recently just beat the world record for the Appalachian Trail speed record, which was 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes on the 2,168-mile route - and he beat it by 3 hours. He ran for 46 days - which averages almost 50 miles a day. Incredible. I find him particularly interesting to read about because he eats a plant-based diet. One of the most elite ultrarunners in the world, winning races without eating meat (and any animal products).


(Scott Jurek celebrating finishing the Appalachian Trail and setting a new record)

For those of you who don't know me well, I've spent about half of my life as some kind of vegetarian. I've never been someone to talk a ton about it, because it used to embarrass me and actually still does. Whenever you tell someone you don't eat meat, they either make fun or judge. For me - it is simply this: my body feels and runs better on a meatless diet. I've never really eaten much red meat. I can count the number of hamburgers I've eaten on just my fingers. For Ironman, I decided to try to start eating meat again. I felt that there was no way I would be able to get enough protein by sticking to a veggie diet when training for 15+ hours a week. I'll admit, it makes my life a lot easier to eat meat. Going out with friends and family... life is so much easier not having to explain this whole "vegetarian" thing to people. Despite "eating meat" again, I ate, probably (I didn't track it), meat at one to two meals per week. It was hard to force meat into my diet. Fish was always easiest. (I grew up eating a lot of seafood - byproduct of having a father who does accounting for most of the fishing industry!!) But, I'd say that I completed Ironman without much help from meat protein. The protein shakes I drink are Vega - a plant based protein, and I ate a lot of quinoa, yogurt, oatmeal, and veggies. I believe I got enough protein to fuel my body and am glad to see extremely successful athletes doing the same and continuing to excel within their sports.

I'm not saying that I think being a vegetarian is something everyone should do. Or that it will make you feel better and become faster like I feel it does for me. Or that you're wrong for eating meat, or anything like that. I'm simply saying - this is me. I don't like to eat animals. I love running in the woods. And I want to become an ultramarathoner. I am aiming for a 50 mile race as my next ultra goal after this one (maybe 100 miles eventually), but after my next Ironman. I still have some goals to accomplish in Boulder next August.

Quote for the week:
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Song of the week:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi