Skip to main content

Hay in the barn, deposits in the bank... and other pre-race analogies?

It's horrifying to type this out but... my Ironman is 3 weeks from yesterday. SHIT. That's so soon! I'm getting asked "how are you feeling?" and "do you feel ready?" to which I've been responding with analogies that I think are real like "well the hays in the barn" (is that a thing?) and "I've made all the big deposits in the bank" or something like that. First off, are these even real analogies? Unsure, but no one has challenged me yet so I'll go with it.

But, what I MEAN remains true. Am I ready? I've done every workout I was supposed to. In the last 6 months I've missed two swims and one lifting session. I've raced only twice leading into this - the first was terrible and the second was great. My hamstring has been mostly good. I've been seeing what I'll call an "ironman versed chiropractor" who does mostly ART and graston type work on my body every couple weeks to try to stay tuned up. I've run well, I've biked alright, and I'm still swimming decent. I've gotten in quite a bit of open water swimming which is good. I've also ridden more outside than normal. I've been "celebrating" life quite a bit, which has made training more challenging, but life a LOT more fun (wouldn't change that). I'm tired and sore all the time, and that means it's working, right? 

What I'm trying to do now is start realistically thinking through race day. How will I mentally approach each portion? How will I keep running at mile 18 when everyone is walking and I'm tired. What are realistic goals to try to hold myself to? What am I going to eat and drink? Time is ticking and I won't pretend like this race hasn't snuck up on me, especially since I feel like my personal life has really lead my year, instead of training being my top priority.

So, to answer "am I ready"? I couldn't tell you. It feels impossible to be ready for a day with so many external factors. Do I feel like I've done a good job preparing? Yes. Do I trust that my coach knows what he's doing? Yes. Do I have the mental discipline to keep going through the dark points? Yes. Is my coach adding actual visualization time into my training plan the next three weeks? Yes.

I guess the REAL question is - what kit should I race in? My wattie hit squad kit, OR: 



But in all seriousness, I do this because it terrifies me. All the crazy feelings I'm feeling right now are because I've picked "the toughest day in endurance sports" (not sure if this is true, but I've heard it said). I mean, just think about this for a minute - you've somehow made it through over 7 straight hours of working out, heart thumping, race pace. You're fairly depleted, you're mentally fatigued from watching things fly by you on the bike for 6+ hours. And now, it's time for a FULL MARATHON. GAHHHHH. (insert pounding heartbeat here)

I have to remember that I've put in the work. This will be my 4th time lining up for a full ironman. I'm a great swimmer. I usually manage on the bike. And I am going to FUCKING GET AFTER THIS MARATHON so I don't have to keep saying that I want to work on my marathon. UGH! LET'S GO.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi