Skip to main content

100+ miles on the indoor trainer - the mental breakdown

Light at the end of the tunnel! Only one month until Ironman Arizona! I haven't hit serious burnout on this training cycle, probably because I took 3 weeks worth of vacation during the 6 months of training (without biking or swimming those weeks!). What I'm looking forward to the next few weeks is being DONE with 6+ hour trainer rides. The weather has gotten too cold/stormy to ride outside. I'm a fair-weather cyclist and have no interest in freezing my butt off outside. However, 6 hours on an indoor trainer is a major mental strain. When you ride 100+ miles outside it's hard, but you have downhills/flats you can coast, scenery to distract you, and a lot of movement in and out of aero position. 

6+ hours on the trainer is sweaty. It's uncomfortable. You ache, you sweat a lot, you doubt yourself... a lot goes through your mind.
The setup. Towels underneath and all

The mental breakdown of 100+ miles on the trainer:

:30 - Warmed up. I can do this.  I'm an IRONMAN! Anything is possible! I'm a superstar! I'm an ATHLETE! GO KALEE! eat all the snacks and drink all the nuun!
1:00 - Ok, this is a normal trainer ride time. I can do this 5 more times right? Totally. I'm amazing.
1:30 - Ugh. I'm not even halfway - I'm halfway to halfway. Don't think about the time. You got this.
2:00 - 4 more hours to go... I haven't even ridden a half ironman distance! Legs still feel good, 1/3 of the way there!
2:30 - how am I not halfway yet? 
3:00 - halfway. holy shit 6 hours is so long. why am I doing this again?

I don't have a lot of pics of me ON the trainer... Isaacs insta stories have to suffice

3:30 - more than halfway. I got this. keep eating. how am I almost out of liquid? this is so long!
4:00 - my back hurts. I can feel some chafing on my _______. why am I so sweaty? does everyone sweat like this? is my fan even on? i don't want to eat, nothing sounds good. jk i'm starving. 
4:30 - ow. this is close enough right? this is almost 6 hours. why do I do this? do other people do this? why do all my playlists suck? why do all tv shows and movies suck? what will make this hurt less? 
5:00 - How big are the puddles under me? Can I change my clothes? do I really need to hit 6 hrs? where am I?
5:30 -  "just keep spinning, just keep spinning".  repeat all the mantras. "you are a badass. you are strong. you are extraordinary. you are powerful". don't look at your bike computer... speed doesn't matter anymore - just keep pedaling. every minute feels like 10 minutes. is my watch broken? i think the seconds are delayed. must be, time doesn't move this slow.
5:45 - YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR 15 MINUTES KEEP GOING
6:00 - OMFG $%#^@*$^%*#&@%$&$
END - Wrap myself in a towel and shuffle to the washer. Put dripping bike clothes and towels in. Find new towels. Lay on the floor. Lay there until life makes sense again.

OR - change into my running clothes! Time to run off the bike!!!

Oh, the glory of Ironman training. I cannot describe how delirious I feel by the end of 6 hours on the trainer. But somehow, I'm still able to run off the bike. I have already ridden more long rides than I did in all of Boulder's training block - and I still have two 100+ rides to go. I can't say I'm super looking forward to them, but I am hoping this will set me up for success off the bike. I have yet to put together a good marathon after the 112 mile ride. 

I've realized that's my main goal. Have a marathon I feel PROUD of. Where I don't let my brain win or where I don't start walking to let Chelsey catch me... where I have a sub 5 hour marathon (and honestly - I know I could run a 4 hour marathon if I perfectly fueled and rode at a good pace and the weather wasn't too hot...)

Cheers to the last month - 2 more weeks of ramp, two weeks of taper. Let's GO!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Normal Life

"I can't wait to have my normal life back again!" I said that multiple times a week during training. Every time I said that it was after turning down a happy hour after work, a night out downtown with friends, a weekend away... At the time I meant it. I was counting down the days until I could do all of that stuff again. I basically stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. It was too hard to drink and wake up at 5 am the next day for training. Have you ever tried to run for three hours or bike ride for 5 dehydrated? It sucked constantly turning people down, but I had to. I couldn't wait to finally be able to say yes! While I have thoroughly enjoyed  reconnecting with all the people I care about the last few weeks and am looking forward to more this next week... I still just miss training.  It's a void that I haven't figured out yet how to fill in the next 6 months without training. I've started running in the mornings again, for about an hour or so at a ti

From birthing a baby to Ironman (and KQ) in 15 months

In my mind, doing a full Ironman 15 months after having a baby sounded completely doable. This might sound stupid - but I didn't realize how FULL TIME being a mom is and how difficult the postpartum baby journey could be. It hadn't occurred to me that Isaac and I couldn't train at the same time unless we had someone over watching Chloe. I know that might seem like such an obvious thing to think about, but when I deferred my 2021 Ironman CDA entry (I was 7 months pregnant), it seemed totally doable AND seemed like Isaac should also race with me! After I had Chloe, I had postpartum anxiety. I'm a pretty relaxed person normally who doesn't worry about much. Most things don't phase me - I'm going to end up where I'm supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be there! Motherhood felt like it flipped my world upside down. It was constant stress and I literally felt like I was losing it. I didn't know who I was anymore... I know hormonally things are all over

A Letter to the Addict in My Life

This post is not about running. This post is not about Ironman. It's not uplifting. But it's how I'm feeling and I need to write it down. And I'm sure this will resonate with some. As we approach the holidays, everyone gets so excited to spend time with their loved ones- happy, laughing, fun, warm memories.  While I definitely look forward to spending time with my family, I start to feel dread creep up as we approach this time of year. I start to feel anxious, angry, frustrated. For me, the holidays are a time I have to face the addict in my life. I have to spend my holidays keeping up stupid small talk, avoid bringing up the elephant in the room. It goes against everything I am - I am a blunt, straight forward person that has the hardest time NOT stating what is obviously in front of me. I wish I could tell you, because I want you to know: I am angry. I am frustrated. I am hurt. You are a shell of a person. Every day you choose pills and alcohol over everythi